sábado, 4 de octubre de 2008

Great New Update!

After a very unsuccessful attempt at getting cooperation from the school (the director is not too happy to deal with a woman unless he's in completely charge), I marched straight to the Mayor's office. And I waited for the mayor! I finally got to speak with him, explain the entire project and reasoning behind Huertos Escolares (School Gardens) and he is donating a piece of land (albeit small and far) for the project! Granted, I got the meeting because I'm a cute gringa...but I'll take it while I can (which...at 5.5 months pregnant won't be long)!

This brings so much more freedom to the farm to school program and the class can take FIELD TRIPS to the farm! I'm so excited to start transplanting what I've already started growing, which is two types of Squash, two types of tomatoes, amaranth, pole beans, some local strands of cabbage and sunflowers! YES! I've never started a garden from nothing before...any tips are welcomed! I will be consulting the permaculture institute nearby before doing anything!

I cannot put into words how happy I am about this small victory. Screw it, LARGE victory! By the way, if you think a successful meeting with the mayor of a town of less than 20,000 people is not a big deal--look who's running for VP of the United States! Ha!

No hay comentarios: