miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008

PROGRESS, HOORAY!

Modest Beginnings....But if you can't see the dream, you're crazy....

Finally! Today I had free reign! I had SUCH an awesome morning, though ZERO of my 6 volunteers showed up....figures. They will probably show up NEXT Wednesday, as is customary here (I don't know if you knew this, but Latin America has its own time zone too...and it moves at its own pace).

In any case, I spent about 3 hours this morning, tilling and removing rocks (as well as being stared and laughed at by the men who "clean" the soil regularly...meaning they rip ALL PLANTS and ANYTHING GREEN and throw it into the garbage...not really my idea of help) from the garden before planting a solid two rows of rhubarb chard, collards and marigold. Tomorrow I'll plant a few more rows of veggies, not sure which kind yet. I'm so happy I finally get to work outside and in the sun again, the methodical way in which you work in a garden is so good for the mind. I was both thinking of nothing and thinking a million thoughts on other project possiblities (see the rocks located on the right side of the picture above...I want to make them a "Banco de Suenos" (Bench of Dreams) in which the kids will paint and create art on the rocks and can sit and enjoy the green goodness of the garden....when it comes up).

I'm also really excited to begin the construction of the informational signs for the plants...I don't know what materials to use yet, but I know some kids I'm going to ask for help to draw them (nothing like kid art). I'm also planning to make a nice, winding path through the whole lot (this is one third of it) and not sure what I should use for the path...keep it packed dirt, put rocks down, mulch, corn cascaras, bamboo....no idea on that yet.

I also started collecting the compost of the local restaurants I had asked to keep it for me...boy, was there a lot more SHIT than I expected! I'm going to have to dump some of it somewhere else, cause my little garden spot would be WRITHING with insects if I dumped it there. I've started a tiny, tiny bin for self compost...but it won't be ready for awhile. For now, am only adding bits of used coffee grinds, for nitrogen.

1 comentario:

EmilyZielke dijo...

I just wanted to clarify that the "Cleaning" of this land was not my doing...had it of been my doing, I would have left all of the green material seen in the pic below at least lying on the land so that some nutrients can go back into the dirt...but among landscapers, school workers, etc...people who dont' work with the land anymore think that its best just to take all the "weeds" and put them in the garbage can...totally illogical. In any case, we are now collecting biomass from restaurants, my own kitchen and yard as well as stolen horse poo from the towns paths.

I think that this method of cleaning/clearing is common in Latin America since many right wing governments wanted people to clear the land in the name of progress in order to be able to put cattle, plantations and order to the nature that is the jungle. I read this somewhere, in some class, at some point...Will look into it more :)